Learn the basics and build a website in this FREE introductory mini course
The only requirements for this course is a laptop/computer with a connection to the internet. We recommend that you also grab your favorite beverage and set aside a free afternoon to learn.
Here is what covered in this course:
Section 1: Intro
- Introduction to the three main technologies of the web
- What we will be building: a single page website
- Downloading and installing the text editor
Section 2: HTML
- Learn what HTML tags are, and which are the most commonly used tags
- Create the structure of our webpage using HTML
- Change the fonts on our webpage with a tool called Font Awesome
Section 3: CSS
- Learn how we can change the color, borders, etc. with CSS
- Add a CSS stylesheet and link it to our HTML file
- Change the colors and other styles of our webpage
- Link a script file to our HTML file
BONUS SECTION: How I quit my job and learned to code
- Deciding whether I should get a computer science degree or self teach myself
- My experiences attending a coding bootcamp in San Francisco
- The difficulties and challenges of learning programming
- Almost quitting and returning to my old sales job
- Getting my first paid coding job, and performing miserably at it
- …and much, much more!
Frequently Asked Questions
Hey everyone! I’m Jon. I’m a software engineer and instructor, and I teach coding at a college in Austin, TX. I’m passionate about technology, and I love helping people understand how it works.
I have a degree from the University of Texas at Austin and I’ve been a web developer for over six years. I started making websites as a hobby, and it soon became a career. Along the way, I also discovered that I had a gift for teaching. My main strategy as a teacher is to break down hard to understand technical terms into smaller pieces so that students can easily understand it.
I’ve taught in a classroom for years, but I’ve met many people who have told me that they either couldn’t afford the cost of tuition or didn’t have the time to attend class everyday. So, now I am creating online courses that give anyone the ability to learn from my curriculum at an affordable price.
I believe education should be fun and affordable, and my goal is to make the best educational products!